When you think of a trader, you probably think of someone who sits in front of 10 computer screens all day constantly pressing buttons, stressed to the max. While the money behind this sounds exciting, the job itself sounds boring and stressful.

Day trading is great if you have several hours to set aside every day to scan the market, find, and place trades. I myself got started in trading as a day trader, and roughly 35-40% of the traders I work with today are day traders.

But the other 60-65% of traders I work with don't have several hours per day to spend trading, they either work full time or just don't want to spend that much time in front of the screen. That's where swing trading comes into play and works quite well with my strategies as well. I myself started as a day trader but migrated into incorporating more swing trading to free up time and get some time away from the computer. In fact, many professional day traders that I know also incorporate swing trading into their strategy to try and free up a little time as well.

Swing trading can be longer term, but it doesn't have to be. With swing trading you can hold a position just for a day or two, but the main thing is you have the ability to "set it and forget it". You can place your orders then go to work, go golf, or go spend time with your family. Yes, you still have to spend time researching, entering trades, and if you're new spend time practicing and learning, but swing trading definitely frees up much more time than day trading, and is a great alternative for those with limited time.

Perhaps the best news I have is that when I put together our price action trading course, I intended it to be viewed by both day traders and swing traders, so the examples and concepts are catered to both groups of traders. This means that once you perfect day trading or swing trading, it will be fairly easy for you to move back and forth between the two using the same strategies.

So to answer our question, no, trading doesn't have to mean sitting in front of a computer all day, and many of the traders I work with only spend 1-2 hours per day managing their trades.